Did you know, that in one ml of sewage there are approximately 100,000 – 1 million micro-organisms within that liquid? That’s just one millilitre. Imagine how many are in a whole septic tank. Many of these bacteria are of course good and an important part of the water but there are also a lot of harmful ones which, if not removed could cause serious health issues for humans and the environment. Therefore, an efficient and effective wastewater treatment process is vital to keep everyone safe.
How do UV lights contribute to the water treatment of wastewater?
When the UV rays hit a body of water, the power of the rays causes the bacteria’s DNA/RNA to cease production. This means that it no longer has the power to reproduce, thus rendering it harmless. This means that those harmful bacteria can no longer cause damage to humans or the environment.
What are the advantages of using this wastewater treatment process?
There are several benefits to using this type of wastewater treatment including:
- It doesn’t affect taste, colour, consistency, or chemical makeup of the water
- It is safe for humans and the environment
- No need to handle dangerous chemicals such as chlorine
- Doesn’t take time to disinfect, the rays immediately render the bacteria harmless
- Low power consumption and no by-products from this method making it more environmentally friendly
What should you consider before implementing UV units as part of your water treatment?
UV units can be implemented for any type of water treatment from domestic to industrial, but there are certain factors to consider. These include:
- How large is the body of water? – If the UV rays don’t touch all the water, you won’t receive total disinfection so you may need several lamps spread out to cover the whole area.
- You may need an additional filtration system – UV units are great at making harmful bacteria harmless, but they won’t remove solid items such as fat deposits, dirt, or leaves, so you may want to also install a standard filtration system alongside the UV water unit to remove this debris
How UVO3 can help
We have a wide variety of UV units, equipment and products which can be utilised in the home, office or a more industrial setting.
Our team of experts can help recommend the best setups to meet all your requirements including how many units and UV lamps you need to ensure a thorough UV water treatment is applied.